Latest blog postwaipu.tv's on-premise network: Get an overview of the on-premise network that powers waipu.tv and spans all over Germany.
Read the post
Who we are
“We develop the best television experience in the world” - This mission drives our experts daily.
waipu.tv is much more than just television - it is a modern entertainment platform which, in addition to classic television, offers many comfort features such as recordings, pause, instant restart, and much more. In addition, we offer the largest pay-TV package in Germany, and a huge media library with over 30,000 films and series on demand.
waipu.tv is the market leader for IPTV/OTT in Germany - with one million paying subscribers. Our mission is to replace cable and satellite TV in Germany and to offer customers more flexibility, allow a variety of playback devices, and allow mobility.
Our team of software developers, network and video engineers, designers, and product managers is passionate about large-scale internet streaming, high performance, and great UX/UI designs.
What we do
waipu.tv is streaming more than 150 channels to hundreds of thousands of simultaneous viewers. As the engineering department, it is our responsibility to ensure that our platform provides a smooth user experience and high availability while efficiently delivering terabits of video data to our customers.
Engineering consists of different teams that are involved in a wide variety of development and operation activities:
- Developing and operating our own CDN for linear and on-demand content
- Scaling and running our network backbone in Germany
- Developing apps for iOS, Android, Web, Samsung TV, LG TV, Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, and ROKU
- Building and maintaining our own video ingest, encoding, and packaging infrastructure
- Developing software for our backend services and frontend applications (React, Vue.js, Node.js, Go, Kotlin, Java, …)
- Scaling our cloud stack on AWS with Kubernetes, Terraform, GitLab CI/CD, and Prometheus